Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Comment On The Avatar of The Person Above YouYesterday at 2:54 amRyanNerdyGamerWhat was the last game you beat?Yesterday at 2:53 amRyanNerdyGamerSwitch 2 before TGS?September 5th 2024, 9:17 pmKeAfan7The video games alphabetSeptember 5th 2024, 9:13 pmKeAfan7What Have You Been Playing Lately?September 5th 2024, 9:10 pmKeAfan7
KingreX32
KingreX32
Admin
written by Andrew Yoon
Wii U controller to offer NFC support Wiiu

Nintendo has announced plans to implement NFC (near field communication) technology into the Wii U controller. This will allow Wii U to communicate with other noncontact devices, such as NFC-enabled phones and credit cards.

By adding NFC support into the controller, Nintendo is hoping it will be able to create "cards and figurines" that can exchange data with the system, and even enable direct payments.

NFC is widely used in Japan for payments and metro access. In America, the technology can be found on American Express ExpressPay cards, MasterCard PayPass, and more. While NFC can be found in most modern Japanese phones, only a select American phones currently have the tech embedded. It's expected to become standard in future smartphones in the US. The Wii U will adhere to both FeliCa and MIFARE standards, making it compatible with most NFC devices. Here's a demonstration of NFC tech used in the Nexus S:

Activision's Skylanders game also takes advantage of NFC by embedding the tech into its collectible figurines. It's clear that Nintendo sees value in that lucrative toy/game hybrid market.

Source

As cool as this is. I wouldnt trust it. What happens if someone hacks the console. Something tat was very easy to do on Wii. Thoughts?

http://kingrex32.webs.com/

Wii U controller to offer NFC support Captaincanucksigcopy
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

Aqua Cherry Blossom
January 28th 2012, 12:17 amAqua Cherry Blossom
I don't see the point of this feature lol.
Marth
January 28th 2012, 12:37 amMarth
You and me both, Eureka. From what I understand, it's sort of an advanced QR code type of thing...but it still seems impractical for a home console. I thought the WiiU controller was meant to be played at home, not carted around with you since it needs to connect to the system to be of any real use.
KingreX32
January 28th 2012, 9:31 amKingreX32
DUde with this feature you can buy things stright from your WiiU using your credit card. And not just Nintendo stuff. You can go on Amazon or some other site that lets you buy stuff and buy from your WiiU
Marth
January 28th 2012, 4:20 pmMarth
Hmmm...I guess that's cool. I would just be nervous about having my credit card information so easily accessible like that. I always delete my info after buying something and manually enter the info every time.
KingreX32
January 29th 2012, 10:36 amKingreX32
thats what I said. We all remember how easy it was to hack games on the Wii.So there is no way in hell I would use this feature.
Marth
January 29th 2012, 2:00 pmMarth
Yeah, plus the recent PSN hackings and Xbox Live. If it could be linked to a store-bought Nintendo Network points card or something, then I would use the NFC. That way hackers can't get at credit card info that doesn't exist.
KingreX32
January 29th 2012, 6:18 pmKingreX32
Yoshi wrote:Yeah, plus the recent PSN hackings and Xbox Live. If it could be linked to a store-bought Nintendo Network points card or something, then I would use the NFC. That way hackers can't get at credit card info that doesn't exist.

indeed
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)